LAST UPDATE TO PAGE: JULY 12, 2021 – 11:50 AM (LOCAL TIME)
The Wilkes-Barre/Scranton International Airport (AVP) will provide current information here in response to questions and concerns about the impact of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) on travel in/out of AVP.
AVP is open and operating as essential critical infrastructure within the transportation systems sector.
But, please, do not travel if you think you are sick.
(Please scroll to the bottom of this page for some answers to frequently asked questions about traveling now.)
Updated June 10, 2021:
Although the CDC has loosened guidelines, masks are still required for public transportation, including transit stations and airports. For more information, click on this link:
The Pennsylvania Department of Health provides COVID-19 Information for Travelers with updates on Frequently Asked Questions through this link:
If you are traveling, you should know that AVP Management’s highest priority is – and always has been – the safety and security of everyone at the Airport and their families, whether it’s on the airfield or for the health and well-being of passengers and employees in the Terminal Building. During this pandemic, AVP Management is in contact with: Emergency Medical Services of Northeastern Pennsylvania; the Lackawanna County AND Luzerne County Emergency Management Agencies; the Pennsylvania Emergency Management Agency; the Pennsylvania Department of Health, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), our airline partners, as well as Airport industry leaders, and is ready to respond to recommendations.
The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) is also providing COVID-19 updates to air travelers and the American public through this link:
AVP Airline Schedules/Updates (last update: July 12, 2021)
While there are no current travel restrictions to or from any nonstop destination served by airlines at AVP, COVID-19 concerns have severely impacted all air service and airlines are moving quickly to cancel flights and re-adjust schedules. See the status of today’s flights at AVP here.
In Pennsylvania, and under U.S. federal mandate, airports are essential services that remain open and exempt from stay-at-home (or shelter in place) orders. Anyone traveling to use essential services is permitted to do so unless they are sick. Within the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania’s current “Stay-at-Home” executive order, which was issued by Pennsylvania Governor Tom Wolf, airports and airlines are exempt as essential services that are to stay open and operational. But, please, while at the Airport, we ask all to follow guidelines to maintain the recommended social distancing from others.
Airlines are requiring flight crews and passengers to wear face masks (or appropriate face coverings) while on board aircraft. The requirement took effect Monday, May 4, 2020 for United, and Monday, May 11, 2020, for American. Passengers are asked to wear their own face masks, however, the airlines (at AVP) have limited supplies for their passengers who don’t have their own.
If you need to travel soon or are making plans for future travel, the information below is a summary of flight schedule adjustments being made by the airlines at AVP. AVP Management will update this frequently as we learn of changes, so please check back and understand it is subject to change. We will try our best to keep this page updated often, however, please understand that there are changes being made daily, and in some cases, hourly, when pertaining to the COVID-19 pandemic. Thanks for your patience and understanding as we all cope with this global pandemic together.
(Click on an airline name to see information from that airline regarding COVID-19. If a date is not included in the information, then it is current and planned for the foreseeable future.)
- Currently, there will be 4 departing flights and 4 arriving flights daily.
- Chicago O’Hare:
- Currently, there will be 2 departing flights and 2 arriving flights daily.
- Nonstop flights are currently suspended.
Counter hours at AVP: 4:00 AM to 7:00 PM daily.
Click here to see AVP’s flight schedules.
American Airlines requires all customers traveling to wear a face covering (or mask) while on board the aircraft. This requirement (which became effective May 11, 2020) is part of the airline’s ongoing commitment to prioritizing customer and team member well-being in response to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. For more information from this news release, click here.
COVID-19 travel updates for American Airlines can be found here.
- Chicago O’Hare:
- Currently, there is 1 departing flight and 1 arriving flight daily.
- Currently, there are 2 departing flights and 2 arriving flights daily.
- Counter hours at AVP: 4:00 AM to 6:30 AM daily. For questions regarding United flights at AVP, call 570-457-3403, option “4” for operations.
Click here to see AVP’s flight schedules.
United Air Lines requires all customers traveling to wear a face covering (or mask) while on board the aircraft. In addition (at AVP), United has a limited stock of masks for their passenger use only, in the event someone did not bring a mask. This requirement became effective May 4, 2020.
For future planning with any flights at AVP, check the current flight schedules to/from AVP and any destination by clicking here.
COVID-19 travel updates for United Air Lines can be found here.
Concessions/Amenities at AVP (last update: June 29, 2021)
In response to reduced passenger activity and public health recommendations on social distancing, temporary changes have been implemented at AVP. Some food concessions and novelties in the Terminal Building remain open, but their hours are temporarily being changed.
- Dunkin’ Donuts is open between the hours of approximately 4:30 AM and approximately 7:30 PM daily.
- Northeast PA News and Gift is open daily between the hours of approximately 4:30 AM and approximately 7:30 PM daily.
- Lucky’s Craft Food & Drink is open between the hours of approximately 10:30 AM and approximately 7:30 PM daily.
- The Tipsy Turtle Airport Pub, which is adjacent to the Best Western Plus Hotel, is open. Temporary hours are Monday and Thursday, 4:00 PM to 9:00 PM, and Friday-Sunday, 3:00 PM to 11:00 PM. The restaurant is closed on Tuesday and Wednesday. For additional information, click here.
- The AVP Administration Offices are closed to any public visitors. Management and administration employees can be reached by email or phone. The main phone number is (570) 602-2000.
- Passenger assistance provided by AVP Airport Ambassadors has been suspended until further notice.
- The AVP (Red) tails Pet Therapy Program are here on a limited basis at this time.
- The Military Appreciation Room will REOPEN beginning June 30, 2021. Hours will be from 4:00 AM to 9:00 PM daily for all active and retired military personnel and their families (proper ID required). To access the room, simply ask an Airport Law Enforcement Officer and they’ll be happy to assist you. Thank you for your service!
- Regarding Car Rental Agencies at AVP, the following reduced counter hours are in place:
- Avis/Budget: 9:00 AM to 9:00 PM (Monday-Friday), and 9:00 AM to 6:00 PM (Saturday-Sunday).
- National/Enterprise: 10:00 AM to 11:00 PM (daily).
- Hertz/Dollar: 12:00 PM to 8:00 PM (Sunday-Friday), and 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM (Saturday).
- Public Parking Garage & Parking Lots:
- Garage: Cash will be accepted in the middle lane ONLY. Credit card payments ONLY in the other two lanes.
- Lot A: Cash will be accepted in the middle lane ONLY. Credit card payments ONLY in the other two lanes.
- Lot B: Credit card payments ONLY.
- Lot D: Credit card payments ONLY.
AVP’s Cleaning Precautions
At AVP, our custodial / matron / maintenance team takes great pride in maintaining the Airport, especially the Joseph M. McDade Terminal Building, to the highest standards. We know this is no time to waiver from those high standards. The following are some of the precautions Team AVP is taking for the safety of our passengers and employees.
- Increased frequency of cleaning and monitoring of restrooms and “high-touch” areas (handrails, armrests, etc.) with CDC-approved disinfectants that are designed to kill bacteria/viruses within one (1) minute of application.
- Restrooms are being cleaned and sanitized multiple times throughout the day, and continuously being cleaned and sanitized overnight.
- Electrostatic sprayers are being used in all boarding areas and restrooms overnight.
- Assuring soap-and-water (the preferred method for washing hands) is maintained in restrooms.
- Waiting areas are being cleaned and sanitized multiple times throughout the day, and continuously being cleaned and sanitized overnight.
- Multiple touchless hand sanitizer dispensers are in place throughout the Terminal Building. These dispensers have a 70% alcohol-based product.
Key Changes at AVP
Key changes have been made in different areas of the Terminal Building, including our tenants:
- Face masks are required for all Airport Employees in public areas; all travelers and any guests are strongly encouraged to wear them, as well.
- Plexiglass or plastic shields have been installed at the following counters in the Terminal Building:
- American Airlines
- United Air Lines
- Avis/Budget Car Rentals
- Hertz/Dollar Car Rentals
- National/Enterprise Car Rentals
- Dunkin’ Donuts
- TSA Checkpoint
- Administration Office (reception area)
- Social distancing markers and signs throughout the Terminal Building will give some guidance on the six foot (6′) social distancing rule. Markers are currently located at all airline and car rental ticket counters, as well as Dunkin’ Donuts and Northeast PA News & Gift, and the TSA Security Checkpoint. Signage is throughout the Terminal Building, including all entrances and elevators.
- Seating has been reduced in different areas of the Terminal Building to promote social distancing, including pre-security areas, gate areas and Lucky’s Craft Food & Drink/Dunkin’ Donuts. Some seats in the gate areas are also blocked off, while others have been spaced further apart.
Facts – Not Fear
Would you like to know if something you heard about COVID-19 is fact or fiction? The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), an agency of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, has answers on the following link:
Use the links below to see current information from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC):
Real ID Enforcement Extended
The Real ID Enforcement Deadline has been extended to May 3, 2023. This extension is due to circumstances resulting from the COVID-19 Outbreak.